Our Current Shelties
Available For Adoption
Big rescue welcome to ALASKA! Alaska just turned 2 years old and is a double merle. He is on the smaller side at about 20lbs. He is a Special Needs dog as he is hearing impaired.
In Foster Care
Big rescue welcome to ARCHIE!! Archie is a 6 year old nuetered male who is on the smaller side but sure has plenty of ‘cuteness’ to go around. Archie’s owner loved him very much but he was having trouble getting along with the 2 other dogs in the home. The family is expecting their first child, so decided that it would be in Archie’s best interest to surrender him to rescue so he could live his best life and not be fighting with his ‘roommates’ all the time. Archie is not yet available for adoption, as he needs some time to settle into his foster home and get his vet check. Archie will likely need to be an ONLY DOG in his adoptive home, but we need to get to know him.
No worries Archie, you are safe with rescue and we will find the best Happily Ever After for you !
7 month old KINGSLEY is getting a lot of interest, even though he is NOT YET AVAILABLE for adoption. His foster mom is diligently working with him through some of his behavior issues and he will not be available until we are confident that we have set him up for success in his adoptive home. He is making really good progress, but we have only had him a month and these things do take time. We will also be scheduling his neuter prior to adoption.
These will be his REQUIREMENTS for adoption. We may add more as we work with him. Your application for him will not be considered if you cannot meet these requirements.
- Securely fenced yard, at least 4 foot. Kingsley is lacking in confidence in the outside world so he needs a safe place to be at home as his adoptive family works with him on his confidence.
- Adoptive home should be in, or reasonably close to, NJ. We do in-person home checks for every single adoption.
- Prior sheltie, or herding dog experience.
- ACTIVE home. Kingsley is a higher energy little boy and needs an outlet for that energy. He’s not a couch potato. Likely not an agility prospect due to his lack of confidence, but would probably do really well with rally obedience or other training where he is working 1 on 1 with a handler.
- Adoptive home should be willing to work with him on his social and confidence skills. We may require that his adoptive home work with a trainer (at their expense) on these issues.
- He does not need to be an only dog, but other dogs in the home MUST be patient with puppy / lack of social skills shenanigans. He was an only dog for most of his puppyhood and is learning appropriate behavior. He does well with the calmer/ smaller dogs in his foster home, but a higher energy/reactive dog will intimidate him.
- Finally, Kingsley is a sweet little guy but he is a puppy who is learning how to be a Good Canine Citizen. His adoptive home will need to have a lot of patience and understanding!
Big rescue welcome to SAMMY (Samantha)! Sammy is an 11 month spayed female. She is about 20lbs but has long legs. Sammy came from a home that loved her very much but her elderly owner couldn’t keep up with a busy girl like Sammy. She knows ‘sit’, ‘shake’ and can give you a hi five!
Since she needs some training and will be getting that in her foster home Sammy is not available for adoption at this time. We will be posting more about Sammy as we get to know her.
The B&B Crew: Merrill, Whitney and Blaze are currently in their foster homes being evaluated. They are not available for adoption yet. They came to SSPSNJ from a shelter in Newark after their owner was unable to care for them anymore. They have been through a lot recently, first the shelter in Newark and then in a kennel for 2 week quarantine. These three sweet little shelties will need to be spayed/neutered, have dental work done and all vet exams updated as part of their foster evaluation. They are brave little shelties and are being well cared for.